Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Po' Girls Drink


I have tried to fight the addiction numerous times, but my love of coffee keeps coming back in full vengence. Unfortunately, my coffee machine broke a few months ago and the coffee at work, while free, is not.good.


Enter Christmas, where I asked Santa for some Starbucks gift cards. Seriously, what more could a bonafide coffee addict who passes 3, count 'em 3, Starbucks on her way to work want (and that's when I take the subway, forget about walking)! However, as much as I love it, Starbucks is expensive $$$ Here are some tips and tricks I've learned so that I can indulge as often as possible!

Poor Man's Latte
An iced doppio. Add milk.

Poor Man's Chai Latte
A chai tea misto with extra foam, two tea bags and a half pump of cinnamon syrup and half pump of vanilla syrup.

Refills
This happens to be something that I am definitley guilty of. Refills are only 50 cents! ($.54 with tax). If you buy a coffee in the morning and save the cup, then you can refill it whenever for cheaper than the carts on the street (for those non-NewYorkers, this is unheard of)! One downfall, the policy is actually for 50 cent refills if you are sitting in the 'buck only. However, I dont think that alot of baristas keep to this policy strictly; hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones.

Starbucks Cards
One kind gentleman informed me yesterday that if I registered my Starbucks card then the refill would be free. Um whaaaat? I could have hugged the man. Be sure to register any gift card you get for some super sweet rewards!

**Just as a disclaimer, while I do use some of these cheapskate/genius tactics occassionally, I do also support the company by purchasing my $5 grande soy vanilla mistos pretty regularly :)


Ta ta for now - I think my coffee definitley kicked in this morning

7 comments:

  1. I am going to start a tea exhange for Heart Day...would you be interested? Bloggers would pass three bags onto other bloggers...
    Also, have you tried chai tea with a shot of espresso topped off with one shot vanilla and some foam? TRY IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome I am registering my GC cards1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Sbux tips! Registering your cards also gets you free syrup---adds up quick!! I also ask for Starbucks cards for every holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha - I love this. I too have come up with all kinds of tricks to "beat the Starbucks system." My addiction got so great that I just had to go with making my coffee at home - but this will come in hand for those two-coffee days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I had no idea you could get free syrup too! Man, learn something new every day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips, as an avid coffee drinker (I, too, have made many unsuccessful attempts at quitting the java goodness) those bargain cues will come in handy when I go into the crackhouse a.k.a Starbucks again.

    Have a great weekend Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - I left you Hoboken restaurant suggestions under your comment on my blog :) I went a bit overboard! Haha

    ReplyDelete