Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"Food" for All

I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to make this primarily a food blog... I'm thinking no because there are alot of other things that I want to bring to light/focus on such as just general healthy living and enjoying/surviving in New York. With that said, I do seriously enjoy seeing what other food bloggers are eating and learning about their healthy habits. So I promise to try, as a newbie to the blog seen, to document my meals / snacks / slip-ups as they occur! 

I did my final bootcamp class this morning (which was seriously a killer)! I am proud to say that before 7:30 am I had done 250 pushups, 200 crunches, and more butt exercises than I ever thought physically possible. It was a rocking good time! Anyways, due to being at the gym and then going straight to work, I needed a portable breakfast.  See exhibit 1:


Some instant oatmeal with 1/2 banana, a handful of blackberries and 1/2 scoop of Soy Chocolate protein powder. 

When my mom came in on Sunday she brought me ... drum roll please... 

a CROCK POT! This thing rocks. No seriously.  Here is the recipe for the stew I made on Sunday night.

Veggie & Steak Stew
Ingredients:
~ 30 Carrots
1 chopped onion
1 can of tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
spices to tastes
3/4 lb of Stew meat (I chose steak)
1 cup of water or broth

Directions:
Throw everything into the crock pot! Let it cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 8-9.

This was the final product and it was a perfect lunch all week. You can put whatever ingredients in that you want and I'm sure anything would taste good :) Tip of the day: INVEST in a crock pot if you lead a hectic life. It can save you hours on food prep time. 

Mid Afternoon Snack consisted of a LARABAR.

If you haven't tried a Larabar before I seriously recommend it. I've heard of alot of people who try not to eat things that have ingredients that they cannot pronounce (which unfortunately is the case with most food that we all typically eat!). The ingredients in a Larabar, depending on the flavor, are Almonds, Dates and then usually just whatever flavor it is. Trust me, you can pronounce everything in it ;)  and they're tasty to boot.

Last but not least, I just munched on a dinner of greeeeeens ...


I steamed some broccoli and spinach, sauteed some tofu, and threw in some garbanzo beans. Pretty random but I have all this produce and I'm afraid it's going to go bad! It was good and did the trick none the less. It was a little lighter than some dinners that I have but I didn't get home from work until 8 and for some reason I really don't like eating post-8 pm. I think it's some sort of phobia that I have developed from hearing all these celebrity trainers saying they lock up the kitchen at 8 ?? 

Do you think there is any validity to this? What are your food faux-pas? 

Looking forward to a great night of Top Chef Finale!! Gooooo Kevin :)

2 comments:

  1. MMM that dinner looks delish! And how good was Top Chef?? Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my crock pot!

    ReplyDelete