Yes I know that's not the actual spelling of casserole but give a girl a break - gotta be witty somewhere ;)
I have been on the hunt for some simple and healthy recipes that will allow me the least amount of time in the morning to prepare for lunch. Doing Jillian's shred in the morning along with a run sometimes has really made me late for work; thus was born the Santa Fe Casserole, adapted from Caitlin's recipe.
It was healthy, tasty, and so so easy to pop into a tupperware for lunch. Three cheers for Santa Fe!
Santa Fe Casserole
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped dried chilies
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup organic skim milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup three gain rice, cooked (purchased from Trader Joes)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 head of broccoli, steamed
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a skillet, sautee the onion, garlic, and coconut oil until tender. Add the salt and chilies.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the pepper, milk, beans, COOKED brown rice, eggs, cheddar cheese, and broccoli.
4. Pour mixture into casserole dish and sprinkle with extra pepper.
5. Bake casserole for 25 minutes or until center is firm. (Mine took a little longer ~ 35, and then I turned the broiler on to get a good crisp on top)
6. Let cool 5 minutes and top in a tupperware for lunch!